43102513fb652a9ed79424f83e409c0714ba16d4

just plain sara: Classic Sue Storm / Invisible Woman

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Classic Sue Storm / Invisible Woman



I finally finished (as finished as possible for now) my Sue Storm classic costume. I will be dying my hair blonde when I wear it but for the time being, you can at least see how it came out. After getting this much done, it's safe to say that the gloves are by far the hardest part. I ran out of fabric so even though the ones I have aren't particularly good, I've gone through all I can trying to make them. Strangely, the left one is tighter than the right one but that's because with so little fabric left, I couldn't properly cut with the greatest stretch going in the proper direction. The left pinky is also quite mangled and where I had to hand stitch (sometimes I just used whatever was in the needle like red), you can unfortunately see some stitches. I hate Hate HATE hand stitching.

The chest emblem was a change. I was going to make one out of latex or foam but after experimenting, I decided an ol' fashioned embroidered one would be best for my skill level. When I get better (and can afford more supplies) then I take some more whacks at special effect type of emblems. I'll be getting into masks someday too.

As for these boots, I followed instructions from League of Heroes veteran greenarrowfl (Brian) and I'm really impressed with how they came out for my first try. The epoxy was quite messy and is somewhat splattered on them but all in all, they don't look too bad. I wasn't planning on them being flared at the top, that's just how they came out. I simply didn't make them form-fitting enough. I did make nifty boot tops to fold over for a buccaneer look which can be tucked in and secured with safety pins.

The belt pissed me off a lot but still not as much as those glove, mainly because I had a belt made out of the same dark blue fabric as the neck yoke but I can't find it. I didn't like it when I made it so I must have tossed out it. It took three attempts with the blue vinyl to get anything at all wearable but my stitching with the vinyl is so atrocious! Hopefully it's not noticeable from a distance but stitching on such shiny fabric does show up more than on matte.

This is most likely what I'll be wearing on Feb 23rd for the New Moon Comics grand opening of their new location in Little Falls, NJ. Come out and see me!

No comments:

Post a Comment