43102513fb652a9ed79424f83e409c0714ba16d4

just plain sara: Presenting The Nerdy Bird as Ravager

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Presenting The Nerdy Bird as Ravager



Although I have been terribly upset about missing Comic Con International in San Diego yet again, I have still managed to participate through my joint ventures with Jill the Nerdy Bird. Last year I helped her with creating the perfect Dexx Starr (Rage Kitty) which was brought up on stage by Dan DiDio. This year, Jill wanted to be Rose Wilson aka Ravager from the Titans. (I don't know who to credit for the photo but thank you person on twitter).

This suit was on par with the Big Barda as far as difficulty. It was also my first time working with sequins. Lesson learned: even though they are described as "stretch" sequins, they only stretch 2-way not 4-way like traditional spandex. Hence we had some fitting issues since Jill and I were over 6 hours apart when I had to construct it making it impossible to do a proper fitting; but as you know, she could wear a burlap sac and be smokin' hot so a little bit of improper fit isn't a devastating thing for someone like Jill. The part I designed and constructed is the bodysuit. Jill came up with the accessories and wig (which is so gorgeous!).

Jill did all the shopping for the fabric for which I am grateful. We couldn't find the properly spaced sequins in silver so here's where our experiment worked out. I know lots of people spray paint their utility belts and boots with Krylon Fusion so I suggested it to Jill. She painstakingly covered the beige sequins in an appropriate metallic silver. I said it wouldn't be necessary to have it perfectly coated because the original color would give the illusion of some battle wear and shading.

I also had to move back to New Jersey a week ago and my sewing equipment is in boxes. I hope that the rooms here can be set up soon so that I can get back to spandex. There is a certain character that I would like to create for NYCC in October but it would be challenging in different aspects and also cost quite a bit due to the amount of material and accessories. I'm not announcing it because I worry that I can't afford to do it.

Some work in progress images:



No comments:

Post a Comment