43102513fb652a9ed79424f83e409c0714ba16d4

just plain sara: What's going on this week: Photoshoots & Cons

Monday, March 22, 2010

What's going on this week: Photoshoots & Cons

First of all, I owe another giant round of thanks to Dave Wachter and John Hudson for producing another epic photoshoot yesterday in the backwoods of Pennsylvania! Thank you, guys! I'm sure your next question is, "What did you shoot?" We had a blast doing two totally different themes in one very long afternoon: Cowgirl and Firestar.

Yes, "Cowgirl" is the name of a DC character which would make total sense for my usual wardrobe, but that's not what we did. I wanted to cosplay as Pearl Rivera from Dave's captivating webcomic, the Guns of Shadow Valley, but Pearl is half Spanish and even with my dark hair, I'm not sure anyone will buy me as Pearl; however, that was the idea. Pearl is a gun-toting trick/sharpshooter with some other extraordinary abilities (yet to be revealed entirely in the comic) and she's clearly a girl after my own heart.





We first started with an entirely different series which was to have me modeling Dave's new Guns t-shirt which he now carries in men's and women's sizes. So after we monkeyed around with fun t-shirt shots, I dove into John's vast costume collection and was able to try many different cowgirl looks.

We finally got the chance to switch it up and so some of my sexy superhero work. I don't have any really great pictures of my Firestar costume so I wanted to make sure I'd fit her into my 2010 schedule. I was lucky to have found the absolutely perfect shade of red-orange lingerie to go with the mask and Firestar's flaming red hair.

This week is also packed with prep work for this weekend's CGS Supershow! I'll get the chance to extend my booth babe work which started last year for PKD Media. For this year's CGSSS, I'll be at... you guessed it, the Guns of Shadow Valley booth. I'll also be the roving reporter for CGS trying to nab some video interviews of the many creators and con-goers. It's a show run by podcasters so there will be plenty of other show hosts for me to interview. Saturday night we're doing our version of (everyone's favorite new show) GLEE by setting up karaoke at Third and Spruce restaurant. Sunday at 1:30, I'm bringing the CGS version of Project Rooftop (which is a comic book version of Project Runway) to the show by moderating the Costuming & Character Design Panel. I'm so very excited to announce that I will be joined by the 501st Star Wars costumers and panel participants Jamal Igle, Dave Wachter and Mike Norton!

Panelists
Jamal Igle - super famous and super nice artist well known for his work on Supergirl. Jamal usually hits a good amount of conventions during the year so it would behoove any comic book fan to seek him out. He will make time for sketches, autographs, answering questions and having a beer or two. Jamal is exclusive with DC Comics (a dream held by many of friends and myself). He's the lucky husband of Karine and super dad to Catie. Plus, he has a cat. I trust men who like cats.

Dave Wachter - I wouldn't describe Dave as famous; he's more along the lines of infamous. Dave received lots of attention in the past from his work on Tell Them Johnny Wadd is Here and Scar Tissue. However, it's Dave's Guns of Shadow Valley which he co-created with Jim Clark that has evolved into the best western themed comic available -- and it's free because it's online. If you imagine the Magnificent Seven thrown in a blender with X-Men, that's Guns. Plus, he also has a cat. Rusty even has his own twitter feed.

Mike Norton - Mike is another DC artist with his first Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam cover hitting shelves very soon. He's also got lots of history with Green Arrow/Black Canary. Mike takes the time to appear as a guest on podcasts (not mine -yet!) and has been a long time friend of Comic Geek Speak. Mike is also strangely obsessed with his pugs. I don't think he has a cat. I don't know if I trust him.

No comments:

Post a Comment