43102513fb652a9ed79424f83e409c0714ba16d4

just plain sara: 2009 MVP at the Superhero Costuming Forum

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2009 MVP at the Superhero Costuming Forum


Hero Fashions Fans! Pay attention! First of all, if you don't know, the Superhero Costuming Forum is where I go to get advice from people far more creative and talented than myself. It's run by an extraordinary group of volunteers who have built a community of close friends all because of superhero costuming. We even venture beyond the tights now and again for the likes of G.I. Joe or Indiana Jones, etc.

Last year I breathlessly accepted the MVP which I did not expect to ever receive; and this year, I had personal issues that required my time so I missed out on the boards a lot. However, I popped in just in time to see that "StanLeeWannabe" aka Alfie Norris was awarded the 2009 MVP! I decided that he needed a bit of spotlight over here at the ol' blog so I asked him a few questions.

To swipe some of our fearless leader's hardwork (Allan), here are some quotes about Alfie from his peers at the Superhero Costuming Forum:

  • He's very active on this and many other forums and is always quick to offer his two cents, solicited or not.
  • He was a fun guy to hang with at DC and has energy that I wish I could fucking bottle (minus the Ritalin prescription)!
  • it's a pleasure to chat with him either on the boards or on msn, I'm looking forward to hanging at Dcon 2010.
  • He knows things.....
  • He has been a major part of getting the site moving. He has made posts that have been informative. Has given advice to those seeking it. And knocked out a ton of costumes.

As last year's MVP, I know it's a big honor, so, Alfie, how does it make you feel to be recognized by your costuming friends as an outstanding community member?

Humbled, since there are so many others deserving recognition. Gratified, that the work and detail and perspective that I put into projects is enjoyed by others that love this stuff too.




What were your greatest 2009 costuming accomplishments?
The costume I'm most proud of this year was certainly Eradictor. A lot of work and planning went into that one. Almost everything was something I had to "put my hands on" so to speak. From the cowl to the cape to all the luminescent runes and the light up eyes. The Flash boots with rippled soles and a custom airbrush paint job weren't easy either.

But from what I gather, it was my penchant for trolling the forums late night and jotting down advice that people were appreciative of the most. Taking the time to listen, which has been one of my goals - to be a better listener - resulted in a few "ah ha!" moments. Like, "whoa, I know the answer to that! I'll see if this post helps." I've learned so much from people who know a TON more than I do about this stuff that it just seems right to pop in and spread the wealth.


What was an important lesson learned in how to do or not to do something?
I learned not to spraypaint Dr. Fate helmets in a closed garage when your wife's car is a totally different color. Ha ha. Had to get her a brand new coat on the car thanks to a few pesky particles.

But more importantly, I learned you can't be afraid to just jump in, try stuff and make mistakes. Heck if I hadn't just recklessly bought materials and tried stuff, I might still be on the couch thinking "I dont know...i dont really know how to do that..." I allowed myself time to play.


What's on the books for your 2010 To Do list?
What's NOT on the To Do list? I keep having wild ideas and wanting to go nuts on them all.

1. Wolverine - with extending and contracting claws under latex skin. I want people to ask, "is that for real?"
2. Dr. Strangefate - I'm dying to see an Amalgam group at a con. It's absolutely my favorite comic concept bar none. Ron Marz, José Luis Garcia-Lopez and Kevin Nowlan did an amazing job on that series.
3. The Human Torch - im kicking around a few versions of this. One involves resin and Christmas lights?
4. Archangel - poseable mirror chrome wings included!
5. Movie & Classic Iron Man suits ...
6. Nova - helmets and armor in the works as we speak

*pant* *pant*

The Hulk is not on this list simply because...well I dont know if I'll be able to do it justice this year. Allen did such a great job with Sasquatch, that's going to be a hard act to follow.


What conventions and events will you be attending in 2010?

Most likely it'll just be Dragon*Con, but since the wife wants to mainline Twilight info we're about 80% for San Diego Comic Con as well. Though I've been on the boards for a long time now, this year's D*C was my first con! It was a complete blast and I couldn't have been happier to make connections with such great people.



I'm looking forward to D*C 2010 especially because I made a certain nuptial prediction that I'm really hoping comes true. I know things. Ha ha.

People always want to know, can they contact you for commissions? If so, how?
Absolutely. Email me at anorris1@knology.net. I'll try my hand at anything if I've got the time. Sewing isn't my strongest, but anything else I'm game for.


Where can fans find more information about you or follow your activities?
I'm on crack book...err Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/#/AlfieNorris?ref=profile

No comments:

Post a Comment