43102513fb652a9ed79424f83e409c0714ba16d4

just plain sara: New Wonder Woman!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Wonder Woman!

Ok, everyone is talking about it! It's Wonder Woman's biggest news in decades. Jim Lee, co-publisher of DC Comics has given Wonder Woman a new "modernized" look, while new writer to the series J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) is giving her a new origin story. I'm more bother by the new non-Grecian origin than the costume and people are saying that the plan is that this will only last a year. And now I admit that I won't be at the comic shop to get my copy of #600 until some time this weekend.

Now, if you refer to this really old post from 2007 (see image below), I created something rather similar in scope only I wasn't up to sewing jackets yet.

So again, let me just say that ripping off Superman's origin and making it "new" for Wonder Woman is perhaps the worst JMS writing I've ever heard. This is his and DC's way to erasing all the craptastic plotlines that have been this latest volume of the Wonder Woman comic book series. (Sorry, I just didn't get Gail Simone either).

I like the corset and the gauntlets and belt. I can't quite tell what's going on with the boots by the sketch. The jacket is what I would label as "meh" meaning I'm not cringing at it but I don't find it at all necessary. The black pants are the only part that REALLY bother me. It's just a cheap ass way of "modernizing" for a movie. She doesn't need black pants. There would be absolutely nothing wrong if she wore navy pants. It's the same reasons why I dislike the Bucky Cap costume (and I'm not crazy about his condom covered headpiece but that's another story).

As for the numbering, I'm annoyed anytime a book is renumbered because I file my books like a librarian in sequence. She does deserve the #600. In this case, I'm ok with it. However, I find the new #1 of Green Arrow completely unnecessary. There's nothing wrong with just labeling a story arc: Issue #57, Part 1 of 6 of blah-blah-blah. Why all the stupid #1s? Because a book with a #1 on it sells more copies; bottom line: it's about money not about continuity or jumping on points.

No comments:

Post a Comment