43102513fb652a9ed79424f83e409c0714ba16d4

just plain sara: Down to Business: Kimberly Kimble

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Down to Business: Kimberly Kimble

Kimberly Kimble, the go-to hairstylist for celebrities such as Beyonce and Mary J. Blige, has hair styling firmly in her blood. Kimberly’s mother and both grandmothers were all hair care professionals, so it’s no wonder that Kimberly has had such success in the beauty industry. She has styled hair for major cosmetic companies including L’Oreal, CoverGirl, and Neutrogena, and has also worked on campaigns for Pepsi and True Star for Tommy Hilfiger. Kimberly’s cutting edge hairstyles and innovative contributions to the world of beauty have also been featured in hundreds of magazines including: Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Rolling Stone, InStyle, Essence, Us Weekly, Blender and Seventeen. While working on the set of movies and television, Kimberly realized the need for styling products that would allow her to style hair that endured the long hours of filming while still looking fresh and healthy. With a thriving salon in West Hollywood (Kimble Hair Studio), a full range of hair care products (Kimble Hair Care Systems), and a recent appearance on Oprah, who is there more qualified to give us advice on our hair and how to get started in the industry?

1. You first started working at your mother's hair salon washing hair, and even your grandmother was a hairdresser. I guess it was in your destiny?

It was definitely in my destiny! I spent so much time in the salon growing up, that I do think I was destined to be here. I actually planned to go into fashion, and was working as a hairdresser to put myself through fashion school when I realized that my true talent and love was for hair.

2. How did you know you had something special to offer the hair industry, especially since it is so competitive?

I always knew that I had a true passion and love for the care of hair. There are a lot of people that just do the job for the money, but I’ve always REALLY cared for it. I still remember the feeling I got when I saw my first client stand up and look in the mirror- when I saw her smile so big, I felt so good about my job. I’ve always loved and cared about the health and look of people’s hair.

3. Do you think one can become a successful hairdresser without inventing or even redefining classic hair styles?

I think you definitely can. There are so many different aspects of hair that you can specialize in- hair color, haircare, extensions, cuts, etc.

4. Many hairdressers can style hair to perfection but to the detriment of one's hair. Where do you stand when it comes to hair care versus hair styling?

Hair care is a major part of my philosophy- I don’t compromise the integrity of someone’s hair for their style. Hair health is so important because your style looks much better when your hair is healthy. Damaged hair is much harder to style.

5. What was the inspiration behind your hair care line? What were the key things you wanted people to benefit from using your products?

My products were all about finding a way to style your hair without damaging it. I wanted my products to give results- healthy hair that looks and feels good and has incredible shine. My clients always loved the way their hair looked after they came out of my salon and I wanted a way that they could achieve the same shine at home.

6. When you decided to open your own salon, Kimble Hair Studio, how did you find hair stylists that shared the same philosophy?

It is definitely hard to find. The main thing I do is work through beauty schools, bring interns in so that they can gain a hands on learning experience, and we can see if they have the same determination, passion and philosophy that we share here.

7. You've styled numerous celebrities including Mary J. Blige, Gabrielle Union, Serena Williams, Kerry Washington and of course Beyonce. Did you always intend to gain celebrity clients or did that just sort of happen?!

I never intended to work with celebrity clients, but my mom moved us out to Los Angeles to start doing hair in the television and film industry. She learned about the opportunities and told me that I should go for it. My first movie was B.A.P.S, where I did a lot of the hairpieces for Natalie Desselle, costarring with Halle Berry. I continued to do movies and met Beyonce when doing her hair for Austin Powers, and then she started hiring me for other events she was appearing in.

8. What are your top three tips for black hair care?

● For Black hair, you definitely want to keep it moist, don’t let it get dry and brittle because that’s what causes breakage.

● Many women are afraid to cut their hair- don’t be. It’s much healthier to keep your hair cut- it looks fresher and keeps the hair healthier.

● Hair maintenance is the most important- the key is to get the right maintenance products. Black hair needs a little bit more attention than most to stay healthy, so make sure you’re sleeping on silk (I have products like silk pillowcases, scarves, bonnets, rollers, etc. on my website

www.kimblehaircare.com) these types of products give your hairstyle longevity.

9. What should a customer look for in a good hairdresser?


I would recommend finding someone who is passionate about their job and the health of your hair. Someone who is just in it for the money will not care about the long term effects of what they’re doing to your hair and may damage it.

10. What one priceless business tip could you pass on to a budding young hairdresser?

I would say to be professional! Be punctual, well studied, and determined! Take the time to explore new things and be open to learning all aspects of the business until you find your niche and what you’re really passionate about- then stick with it!


Products from Kimberly's line, "Kimble Hair Care Systems."

Left to right: Cleansing Shampoo (Nuturing Shampoo & Conditioning Treatment System); Honey & Oatmeal Moisturizing Conditioner (Nuturing Shampoo & Conditioning Treatment System); Replenish Oil Drops (Oil Treatment System); Retrospective Workable Hairspray (Styling Care System); Scalp Relief (Extension Care System); Waxation (Fashion Forward Styling System)

Credit: Kimberly Kimble & Jennifer Dalton for all photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment